Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pawpaw's Cabin

 
I am not always a lover of nature.
I prefer the air conditioner to the hot, muggy summer air.
I would rather crawl into my cozy bed than sweat by a fire.
I am allergic to ants, and pleased when this gets me out of yard work.
But when I was a young girl, we would visit my grandfather's cabin on Lake Livingston.
He would place a worm on my fishing hook and help me cast from the dock.
We would sit together quietly until one of us got a bite.
He would help me reel it in, or I would help him.
It was so exciting to catch that fish!
To be so small and know that I contributed to the dinner my grandmother was cooking.
I always looked forward to going to Pawpaw's cabin.
It is one of my favorite memories of my childhood
and of him.


5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful memory your Pawpaw gave you....love this!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How charming ... I have similar memories. Though my grandfather was called 'Pong.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought to mind several memories I hold of my grandfather, "granpa".

    ReplyDelete